Groby Action Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anger as leak reveals potential traveller sites (Leicester Mercury Friday, November 28)

Go down

Anger as leak reveals potential traveller sites  (Leicester Mercury Friday, November 28) Empty Anger as leak reveals potential traveller sites (Leicester Mercury Friday, November 28)

Post by Admin Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:00 am

A secret document leaked to the Leicester Mercury has revealed the potential locations of six new travellers' sites.

It also shows that four other locations in the county which already have camps could be expanded.

The confidential paperwork shows two large travellers' sites are being considered for land near Groby and Earl Shilton by Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council.

It also shows four smaller sites are earmarked for Stanton under Bardon, Stoke Golding, Newbold Verdon and west of Hinckley.

Papers also say four extensions to existing travellers' sites in Cadeby, Markfield, Desford and Barlestone will be considered.
Click here!

The Mercury was told the document was left behind after a confidential briefing for borough councillors this week.

This year, the Government asked local councils to find new camps in their areas for travellers by 2011, and the documents showing the possible sites is the result of work by council officers.

All other councils in Leicestershire are currently carrying out the same type of work, and have been told to report back in the coming months.

The Government says providing these pitches would mean illegal camps could be dispersed quicker and the travellers sent to the sites.

A 10-pitch transit site in Sacheverell Way, Groby, would provide a temporary home for about 50 caravans.

County councillor for the area, Rob Fraser said: "I knew nothing about this, and I think the borough council has handled this appallingly. Local representatives should be involved, and it is a shame the information has come out in this way.

"This site is completely unsuitable."

Groby borough councillor Peter Batty: "There had been rumours about this and I am angry they have dumped this on us. I will be calling a public meeting in this area about it.

"There is going to be absolute outcry from people in Groby."

The largest site is planned for Thurlaston Lane, Earl Shilton, which would have 12 pitches for permanent residents.

County councillor for the area, Denis Bown, said: "I have serious grievances about this site. There is only a very narrow road in and out. It would cause serious problems." Leader of Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council, Councillor David Bill said: "The information has not been made public because the matter's still confidential and is still under consideration.

"I am astonished that county councillors have been shown these leaked documents.

"We are still making our way through and no decisions have been made."

The county's travelling community says the Government's calls for more sites will end years of failure by councils to find land.

Alfie Kefford, chairman of Leicester Gypsy Liaison Committee group, said: "Social needs assessments have shown there is a dire shortage of provision for travellers."

Leicester City Council was told it must set aside room for 39 permanent pitches, 20 transit spaces and five plots for showpeople.

Leicestershire's district councils have been ordered to find space for a total of 246 travellers pitches.

North west Leicestershire needs 73, Harborough 69, Hinckley and Bosworth 55, Charnwood 30, Melton 18 and Oadby and Wigston one.

Each pitch or space would cater for up to five caravans, councillors say.

Potential sites identified in the document:

Groby – site off Sacheverell Way – 10 pitches (potential transit site).

Earl Shilton – site off Thurlaston Lane – 12 pitches

Hinckley – west of A5 – two pitches.

Stoke Golding – east of Wykin Lane – four pitches.

Stanton Under Bardon – council owned land south of village – four pitches.

Newbold Verdon – west of Kirkby Lane – four pitches.

Barlestone – Garlands Lane – four pitches (existing).

Cadeby – Bosworth Road – one pitch (existing site).

Markfield – Copt Oak Road – four pitches (existing).

Desford – east of housing allocation – four pitches (existing).

Post to original link with comments

Admin
Admin

https://grobyactiongroup.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down