Groby Action Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter in Leicester Mercury 8th Jan 09

Go down

Letter in Leicester Mercury 8th Jan 09 Empty Letter in Leicester Mercury 8th Jan 09

Post by Phil R Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 am

Arrogance of borough council

Thursday, January 08, 2009, 09:30

I recently contacted Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council and asked for the areas of residence for the council's planning officers – the people who have drawn up the list of potential traveller sites that will shortly be voted on by councillors and published for consultation.

I didn't want the names of the officials, or their addresses, just the name of their local village or town.

After all, if councillors who will vote on this list of proposed sites have to declare their interest, I don't see why we shouldn't have the same degree of clarity from the unelected officers who proposed the list in the first place.

The response of the council is to hide behind the Data Protection Act – even though the information required is general, anonymous and, as such, represents no breach of privacy.

Would anyone care to estimate how many officers have made recommendations for traveller sites in areas where they live? My guess is zero.

Without this information, how can we be sure that the council is putting forward all realistic options within the site proposals?

I'm afraid its attitude to this simple request reflects the arrogant manner in which this entire process is being conducted.

P Rennett, Groby.

Phil R

Back to top Go down